24 June 2014

Kairon dissociates from sons

Ambala, Saturday
June 23, 1964

Kairon dissociates from sons

MR. PARTAP SINGH KAIRON today publicly dissociated himself from all activities of his two sons — Surinder and Gurinder.

In a Press statement, Mr. Kairon lamented: "I wish I could have done it earlier". He added that he did not desire to seek any public office and would engage himself whole-heartedly in constructive work. Devotion to the great national organisation, the Congress, loyalty to its "able and experienced leadership" and service of the masses, would remain his "sole occupation" the statement added.

Mr. Kairon received Pressmen in the working room of his house and handed them the statement. It said: "I accept the verdict of the Das Commission with all humility. Whatever I have to say by way of explanation, I shall do so later".

The following is the text of his statement:

"As a direct consequence of the Das Commission's report, I have already quit the office of Chief Minister. I have done so as a disciplined soldier of the great organisation to which I have the privilege to belong and to maintain high standards of public life.

"While I lay down the charge of my office, I must share my feeling with the people who have wished me well and shared my grief and sorrow and have all along identified their interests with mine, throughout my efforts they gave me unstinted support and affection.”

“The keynote of the report is that my two sons have amassed wealth in different ways and that in doing so they sometimes exploited my name and mis-utilised official machinery. Thus it is mainly for the doings of my sons that I have come to suffer. It is not the first time in the history that it has so happened. I take the opportunity to publicly dissociate myself from all activities of my two sons."


No comments: