1. I think, you like many, is missing the point I wanted to bring out. Missing the wood for the trees.
2. You may or may not agree with what Mr Shiv Menon writes. You may not agree with what Prof Mohan Guruswami writes on military domain. He is not for from the Armed Forces. There will be gaps in understanding. On my request Prof Mohan Guruswami has promptly sent his presentation after deleting some slides which may have security connotations. You can view his presentation at http://www.slideshare.net/avidas/india-china-net-assessment-dssc. Like you many have tore into Shiv Menon's talk as many who have gone gaga over it. I am not going to give any judgement, nor is it my intention. One should read other's view point : good, bad or ugly and make one's own opinion. I shall reproduce two responses received to emphasise my point. My point was refusal of Armed Forces to share anything. Two days 'seminar', best in the business, at least from DSSC perspective, gives talk/presentation to officers at the level of Majs. Surely bright as they are, will not understand the complete Gamut. It needs to be disseminated across the board in the Armed Forces. Please tell me would you be able to read these, if I have not got it from Shiv Menon himself and sent. That is the Irony.
3. I am looking for effect of recent Chinese Modernisation of 'PLA' on our Armed Forces. It has to be done by some military professional. The availability of PLA forces in Longzhou or Chengdu Military Regions is known, the airfields, surface, train and other communication means are known, the capability of missiles, space are known. Various arcs, where all they reach are known. People from the civilian background is asking question what are you doing. One civilian recently asked me : As per % of GDP on expenditure of defence we are at the lowest below 2%, with Pay Commission, OROP revenue expenditure has shot up, no money for weapon, eqpt, amn. Do you really need Mountain Strike Corps, can you sustain that with the kind of funds available. What kind of reorg armed forces can undertake. Do Indian Army need to change their war fighting doctrine against Chinese, etc etc etc.
4. Where is that Chinese expert from Indian military who is writing on these issues. Recently I attended a seminar at ORF on Modernisation of PLA. Manoj Joshi had published on Op Edit, he spoke also. Nothing new. Our ack expert on China, Ex DA presently Comdt, AWC; on the verge of retirement gave a far better presentation. But the Indian connection, analysis was missing. Information is available, see Jamestown Foundation China Brief, CSIS Papers , Rand Reports or my vey own China page in my blog. What is critical and important is analysis. We can keep criticising others BUT where are we. That is the point I repeatedly try to hammer into. I have heard that vendor Ashley Tellis in a seminar at USA giving a far better view on effect of Chinese military modernisation on Indian Armed Forces. I have nothing against Ashley Tellis, he is looking after US interest, India is the big defence eqpt market, he is now propagating India should purchase A110 Warthrog! What irritates me is we Indians fawn over him.
5. You can analysis only when you read! That is why I have been advocating distribution of knowledge. Kindly click on DSSC website in Internet. You will get photographs and monthly newsletter. So many foreign officers are being trained there. The Govt is spending so much money. Can't you be more professional. I have been telling since donkeys years for sharing presentations/thesis, there is nothing classified about it. If you go to Dissertation page of my knowledge on line website @ http://indianstrategicknowledgeonline.com/index.php?t=Dissertations you get 450 thesis from Armed Forces War Colleges of Western origin. Our officers who became Chiefs/C-in-Cs, their dissertations while undergoing course abroad, I had put. But our DSSC/AWC/refuses to do. NDC, at the top of the value chain, who does not come under anybody, MoD does not care, can do whatever it feels like, does not budge. Not because lack of effort from my side, I can guarantee you that. Cat 'A' ests with so much resources and infrastructure refuse to do which an One Man Army has shown what can be done. It is not that, people at the helm of affairs don't know. One of the Ex GOC-in-C ARTRAC sent me a book authored by him on his achievements replete with very good photographs including his horse riding, attending parties etc. These were given to every Gentlemen Cadets passing out from IMA and OTA. He wanted some good words to be written about the book. Some good words quoted in the book were from a veteran two star, which I suspect, I may be wrong, was from his father. The other one was from a well respected veteran, who probably out of decency or may be looking from some invite from ARTRAC sponsored event gave some encouraging words.